Thursday 15 December 2016

BLOG 4 - DAY 4, DAY 5 & DAY 6

DAY 4

Waking up to a wet pillow at 4:10 as my alarm went off, wasn't a great feeling, even though the rain sounded great around
1 in the morning. I'm not used to waking up / or sleeping and being warm , I like it. No breakfast, just a pack up and go morning. The whole truck was asleep till around 7 when we stopped at the EQUATOR. Millions of pictures later and maybe even purchasing a lame certificate saying I'd "stood astride in the court yard of Uganda @  0degrees latitude, 032degrees Longitude East..." lame I know but I'll probably never be back here so I figured why not. We later pulled up along Queen Elizabeth National Park and 8 of us transferred into a smaller game viewing vehicle then drove towards the forests where the chimpanzees are found. We began walking through the grasslands into thicker bush and down the valley towards the river. The ground was dry and stable at the beginning but got more treacherous. Where we were walking was very steep. I was right behind the ranger and was following his positioning of his feet with great detail. We crossed a wooden bridge (no guardrails) and began exploring the other side of the river. The air was so thick and humid, sweating was a continuous process. Ducking and side stepping the numerous bugs flying around the green damp environment. The trees were roughly about 50metres tall and towered over us. It took us about an hour and a half to find them, trekking back and forth through the thick forestry. I slipped twice and landed on my butt both times haha clumsy me . I also got stuck in mud that was like quicksand, my one shoe got stuck but luckily it was saved by the American guy on the trip (thank goodness! I was so grateful) while stepping forward in my sock my other shoe got stuck but I managed to pull it out. Now walking with shoes filled with mud (oh well) we continued climbing up and down until we heard the chimp "screeching" (sounded like they were dying in my opinion) so we began a marathon trek in their direction.  We saw two baby's playing as well as a bigger male, leading us to believe we had come across a small troop. The chimps moved so quickly and so majestically.  They then began moving across the river so we doubled back and crossed the river again. Our guide then realized he had misinterpreted the size of the troop. We even got to watch the chimps attempt to hunt Black and White Colobus Monkeys. I'm not a big fan of watching animals kill other animals so I was relieved when the Colobus Monkeys managed to escape. Watching the chimps jumping from tree to tree above our heads was very surreal.
We even saw two young chimps tickling each other and making a big noise. The America (who saved my shoe) made noises similar to them and they responded which was amazing to hear and watch. After watching the Chimpanzees for just over two hours we walked/climbed back up the valley towards our vehicle. My shoes were caked in mud and so were my pants ( I looked absolutely delightful, we all had a good laugh). The vehicle then dropped us off at our campsite Simba Camp (driving with the roof up and windows wide open as we all smelt incredible haha, we also saw two elephants along the way ). We arrived to our tents already set up, the joy I felt was indescribable. All I wanted from life at that moment was a long shower.  Although the water was not particularly warm it was heavenly. After dinner Sav and I were sweeping and mopping the inside of the truck which was full of red dust that was previously mud and we were rewarded with s'mores from the other guests. The s'mores where made of roasted marshmallows and Nutella in between two biscuits, absolutely delicious.

 DAY 5
I woke up hot and sweaty at around 8. Posted my last couple blogs in the morning (wifi, yay!). The South African couple were doing their chimp trek today while 4/6 of the others went on a game drive. It is clear that my packing skills are terrible as I could barely find anything in my locker (messy me). A cleanup was needed! I emptied all my clothes and zip locks out then resorted all the clothes into one locker while putting my bag and the other stuff in my other locker. (Hallelujah for 2 lockers, I think I definitely overpacked). The others Came back with stories of seeing a male lion in a tree which apparently only happens in Northern Africa. While on a walk, another person from our tour group was turned around as it "was unsafe for her to walk around without protection" by Robert Mugabe (a police officer haha) she even got his cell number, too funny. Once we were all back at base camp we started playing "Presidents and Assholes" which ended with every rule involving alcohol or a sip of Waragi (the most famous/hectic Ugandan gin) it's definitely not one of my favourites, bleh. (although I believe gin tasting is becoming more popular in SA).The wifi was amazing once everyone was in bed, I had a long conversation with my parents and a really good friend which put me in a great mood. This was further enhanced as some big storms developed throughout the night. (As a little girl I loved sitting on our balcony at home with my dad and watching the storms. The intensity is magical.

DAY 6
 An early wake up call allowed for a lot of reflection time while driving to a nearby local town who's name escapes me. After being in such a good mood and place in my life I've realized I want to focus on the positives surrounding me. We had a local buffet then continued onto Lake Bunyonyi. Once we were set up,  a couple games of "Assholes and Presidents" took place.(basically the pack is split between players and you continually have to put down a higher card unless the person before you puts down an eight ,its eights below, until someone can clear the pack with a 2 or joker).|Tomorrow morning we have to wake up just after four to leave for the Gorillas. Eeeep, I CANNOT WAIT ! At one point I was concerned that I might get sick and that would mean no gorillas but luckily I am still feeling healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment