Saturday 17 December 2016

BLOG 5 - DAY 7 & DAY 8

 DAY 7
Our group was split into two groups. Group A- those who wanted a less difficult hike and Group B- those who didn't mind a more difficult hike. I chose group A as i'm not very fit and my ankle is still sore from falling at the chimpanzees. After a brief introduction and discussion about the rules- no flash photography and no loud talking being the main ones. Group B had to drive to their starting destination whereas we started right where we were. After about 45minutes of hiking we met up with the rangers that follow the gorillas, the gorillas were very close by. We left our bags with the porters (the 3 Finnish people in our group had hired them to carry their stuff), we just took our sticks (to balance) and our cameras. The first gorilla I saw was in a tree in the distance but then, ONLY 3 METERS AWAY, was a baby (bout 10 months old.) The baby was posing and playing around so we managed to get many great photos of it. What a highlight! In total there were two silverbacks, three females, two babies (the 10month old and a 4month old) and three black backed males. Honestly the whole experience was both numbing and surreal. At one stage we had a male walk straight at us as he wanted to pass, while stepping backwards a member of our group almost fell into a bush, it made us all laugh.       While in the car on the way back to Lake Bunyonyi       I almost cried as it was so MAGICAL. My heart feels full and fluttery. Group a (my group) arrived back around 2:30 and Group B returned at 18:30. Their hike seemed a lot more hectic (they all looked shattered). Another early night was in order as we are going to Rwanda in the morning for the day. I cannot even remember dreaming, I think I passed out as I was exhausted from all the excitement!


DAY 8
The morning was freezing, so much colder than I had prepared for! I could barely keep my eyes open during our drive. We arrived at the border Uganda / Ruanda border just after 8 and managed to get through pretty quickly. We drove along the windy roads all the way to the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre.  At the museum we watched a short video giving us a brief description of the Tutsi Genocide. In the video survivors spoke about their experiences, even describing how their families died. It's heart wrenching hearing and seeing how cruel human beings can be to other human beings. In the museum their were many different rooms, some dedicated to explaining the time frame whereas others were filled with bones and pieces of clothing (many full of gashes or bulletholes). Photos hung all around another room followed by a room dedicated to a few of the many children that were killed, and below their photo it listed their favourite thing, their favourite food, their age, their last words and how they died. Honestly I wish I didn't walk into the room. I wish I could forget how horrifically these little souls died. Such sick people. Even though the museum is full of horrific truths of the past, it's a good reminder to ensure nothing that terrible will happen again to the Rwandan people. One room I haven't mentioned is the room that mentions all the other mass killings from around the world. Learning what I've learnt today makes me fear for the world/ and those in situations like this (Congo and Syria). Memorial grave sites are located around the museum.  After the museum we went to the place where 12 soldiers lost their lives. The bullet holes still marking the walls of the building they took refuge in. Still feeling sad, sick and kweezy we drove to "Hotel Rwanda" (it's changed name since the movie was released). The interior was large and quite fancy. After lunch  I needed a drink and once again sampled the local beer, Mintzburg. So far I've tried all the main local beers from the countries I've been in. While drawing money my card was "eaten" by the ATM (it was in the hotel) Instant panic. The hotel called the bank which happens to be nearby, luckily! Within the hour my card was back in my hands. So grateful to all involved. I then joined the rest of my group who had began shopping at the surrounding market. I've started a collection of memories by buying a leather beaded bracelet in each country I'm going to on this trip, so far I have two (from Rwanda and Uganda).  (I still need a Kenyan one). After an emotionally bumpy day we arrived back at our campsite, had a drink at the bar, followed by climbing into our tents, tossing and turning with the memories of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment